Monday, August 20, 2018

Tibia Hardware Removal

I am back in Boston. I arrived on Sunday. I have surgery tomorrow to remove a plate and screws from my right tibial de-rotational osteotomy (2015). I had hoped to wait until December, when I will be having left knee surgery, but seemingly overnight the hardware has become ridiculously painful, swollen, red and bruised. It also seems to be triggering a relapse of CRPS. So it needs to come out...now!

I did not bump into anything. There was NO injury whatsoever.
Redness and swelling (CRPS)
I had my pre-op today, which involved the usual: vitals, visit with a Nurse Practitioner, anesthesia team, admitting liaison, and an appointment with my surgeon's PA. The surgeon that will be removing the hardware tomorrow was not at the Boston location today, but my other surgeon stopped in to say "Hi" and looked at my hardware site (he is actually the surgeon involved in the original surgery but his schedule was pretty tight so everyone agreed that we would just take the earliest available date given the severity).

The surgeon I spoke to believes I am reacting to the hardware. Somehow, it does not surprise me that my body found a way to be allergic to 3 year old hardware.

There is a chance that surgery could make the current CRPS flare worse. However, we are hopeful that because we are removing the cause, it will only be temporary and will return to a state of "remission" soon.

This procedure is typically done outpatient as a day surgery. However, because of my history, I will be admitted overnight for this procedure. I will be partial weight bearing for 2-4 weeks depending on pain. We will check the bone healing progress with x-rays in 6 weeks. I will wear a walking boot for at least 2 weeks as well.

Hopefully this is just a quick detour!


0 comments:

Post a Comment