Thursday, May 27, 2010

Change of Plans!

Today was my pre-op appointment, admitting appointment, and blood donation!

I met Dr. Kim for the first time and really liked him! He was nice, has a sense of humor, and answered all of our questions! I met with a lady from the neuromuscular disease lab and have decided to go ahead with the muscle donation! I have also agreed to entering a study of PAO patients where they will follow my progress for 10 years. Originally I was having the PAO surgery on my right hip and an arthroscopic procedure to fix a labral tear and FAI however those plans have changed. I am now having my left hip fixed first as it causes a lot more pain and we don't think it will support me during the recovery! The left hip is also more dysplastic than the right which was news to us! We were under the impression that my right hip was worse. Eventually I will need the right hip done but we hope that it will last until either December or May!

As for the blood donation-I failed! My hemoglobin levels were just barely acceptable-11 is the minimum requirement and I was at 11.3. Unfortunately, my blood pressure was too low! My blood pressure tends to be low anyway so they were concerned that the donation would cause a significant drop too close to surgery! I will have to hope that I only need 1 blood transfusion otherwise I will have to use blood from the donar center.

I will call the hospital tomorrow to see what time I need to report for surgery on Tuesday! Dr. Kim says I will be in the hospital for 5-7 days and will receive at least 1 blood transfusion. The scar will be in my bikini line and apparently heals nicely and won't be too visible! I always seem to luck out with neat scars that aren't too obvious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment