Thursday, July 26, 2012

Speechless...

I had the privilege of speaking to a graduate nursing class today. I spoke about living with EDS and the challenges I have faced, including the events leading up to my diagnosis and the chaos that followed when I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I really enjoyed sharing my story and I hope I left an impression of some sort.

I was very impressed with the questions that the students asked. Some of them were questions I have heard before, while others were new and very interesting. They made me think a little deeper about myself and where EDS has taken me. I was told that my story is very inspiring and was asked if I have ever considered being a mentor to those who are recently/newly diagnosed. Fortunately I have this blog, which I believe is my version of mentoring right now. I do think that mentoring, and perhaps motivational speaking are possibilities down the road, but I just don't have the time at the moment. I have spent the last 3 years reconstructing my joints and fixing up my body in different ways so that I can go to nursing school and work. I wish I could say that I am fixed and that I don't need anymore surgeries, but that's not the case. I still have surgeries in the near future that I need in order to become more stable. However, with EDS the realization that there is no cure is always looming. While I am working with my surgeons and therapist to stabilize my body as best as possible, with no cure, I live knowing that there will always be more surgeries in my future. Perhaps we can go several years without any major problems. That is the goal and it would be a pretty great accomplishment. But I know that my life will never really get easier. More challenges will arise, in whatever form, and I will have to find a way to get through them.

Here is a slideshow documenting the past 3 years...





Obviously when talking about my life and story, gymnastics always comes up. I mean how could it not? I was a gymnast for nearly 12 years, trained to be an elite athlete, was fortunate enough to get a small taste of National Team level gymnastics with TOPs, and have memories that will be with me forever. However, it is still a topic that can leave me in tears. I don't know when or if I will ever be able to talk about losing gymnastics without all the emotions that follow. Maybe the emotions are what make the story and experiences so true and realistic. You don't realize how painful the loss is until you experience it first hand. To some, reading this may seem dramatic but I don't think I am being dramatic. I have always been emotional and gymnastics has always been a place where emotions run high for me. I was born with a natural talent. I was an athlete. I competed for years and got a glimpse of what it's like to be "normal." Then it was all taken away. EDS changed my life and forced me to change my identity. It's hard to put into words how devastating it is to lose your biggest passion. Gymnastics was who I am. I miss it more than words can say and there will always be an empty space. I have taken many life lessons from gymnastics and I believe I still live my life with an athlete's mentality. This was brought up to me by one of the students, which was enlightening. It made me happy to hear that the way I presented my story and my attitude towards "conquering" EDS shows the motivation, determination, and even stubbornness that I always brought out to the competition floor. Nothing and no one will defeat me. While gymnastics was who I am, and will forever be a huge part of my life, whether that be as a spectator or an eventual coach, EDS has helped me realize who I am now, and who I want to be in the future.
USA National TOPs Team 1999 (9 years old)

USA National TOPs Team 2000 (10 years old)


Thank you to the students in the class for listening to my story. I hope you were able to take something from it. Thank you Heather for inviting me speak. It really was a privilege.


 You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react!


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to share that story and even from reading your writing, I can feel your experience and humility. :) As a newly diagnosed EDS patient, I second your colleagues' impression that you are an excellent mentor.

    Re: gymnastics -- I'm so glad that you've spelled out the story. For me, it was music. Perhaps not quite as dedicated, but music was my life before I got too sick to play. It's been years and I still can't go to recitals and even concerts are hard for me. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who finds these transitions traumatic. (a little bit is here: http://hiddencourage.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/pain-from-stress/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Abigail! I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad that you seem to be finding support. Facebook is a great tool for support groups!

    I will definitely check you your blog as well and if you want I can add it to my blog list for others to find.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unfortunate that you have yet another surgery looming so close in the future. Multiple surgeries can get really old sometimes. Sometimes it isn't even the surgery that is the big deal. Sometimes it is all the tests and appointments prior and then the appointments and rehab that can really get to you. Other than to say i can pray for you i don't know what else to say. Stop by for a visit sometime at my blog :
    artfulabilities.blogspot.com or head to my medical humor one onesickchick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your final statement - so true! I also read your "How I chose to live" post and it was beautiful! I think you are amazing for overcoming all that you have and to keep such a positive attitude. I have avascular necrosis (AVN)in both hips (and shoulders) and went through 4 surgeries in 3 months time. I can't believe how many surgeries you have had, and my heart really goes out to you! It is difficult to connect with others who have AVN so I often find myself reading about people who are dealing with Hip Dysplasia and EDS. You are an inspiration for many! Never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Denise! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my story and to leave me a message. I am sorry to hear of your struggles with AVN and surgeries. I pray that things become easier for you.

    I have come across only a few AVN patients in my research on hip dysplasia. Have you tried facebook support groups? There are usually quite a few groups for various disorders and problems. May be worth checking if you haven't already.

    Best of luck to you :)
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only got to watch you a few times in gymnastics but it was a thrill every time for me. Uncle John

    ReplyDelete