Tuesday, June 29, 2010

1 Month Post-Op

Today marks exactly 1 month since my LPAO surgery. Despite a setback due to knee pain and instability my hip feels great! I have been relatively independent since I returned from the hospital-which is unsual for a PAO patient. I am also excited to say that I have not experienced any groin pain.

Recap on recovery: I am able to...
-Sleep on my right side
-Crutch for longer distances before getting too tired-my right hip doesn't appreciate this and neither does my knee
-Shower by myself-although in a chair
-Manage stairs without any problems
-Lift my operative leg into bed with little assistance
-Take the puppies outside to play

Today was also my appointment with Dr. Shiple to evaluate my knee. There are about 15 different names to describe what I have but I'll stick to the most commonly used diagnosis and the one Dr. Shiple used. I have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome with patellar tilt and subluxation. Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), often called runner's knee, refers to pain under and around the knee cap. The pain of PFPS may occur in one or both knees, and it tends to worsen with activity, while descending stairs and after long periods of inactivity. The way the patella tracks along the groove of the femur can lead to irritation of the cartilage on the underside of the patella. The patella can move up and down, side to side in the groove, as well as tilt and rotate. In my case the patella has tilted due to a muscular imbalance and weakness of the quad, IT band, and lateral ligaments. My ligamentous laxity issues also contribute to the instability of my knee, as well as the structural differences in my pelvis after surgery. The instability causes the subluxation of my patella and if not treated or stabilized could result in recurrent dislocations. Dr. Shiple wants me to try electrical stimulation at physical therapy to activate the muscles as well as wear a brace to stabilize the patella to prevent any further subluxations. In regards to my hip, Dr. Shiple said my scar/incision is looking great. I had x-rays taken to see how the bones are healing and I am waiting to hear back from Dr. Kim's physicians assistant. According to Dr. Shiple there hasn't been any shift in position from the last x-ray, which is good news.

I have PT with Cam on Thursday and will then continue twice a week for several weeks. If PT doesn't work I will then try a serious of 8 injections to see if that can reduce some of the pain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment