Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Post-Op Appointment 1

I just got back from my 2 week post-op appointment with my Sports Medicine physician-Dr. Shiple. The incision looks great and he was amazed at the difference in coverage of my left hip! Next appointment is in Boston with Dr. Kim in July! At that appointment I will get x-rays to see if the bones have fused and we will discuss a possible increase in weight-bearing. Typically 8 weeks is when 50% weight-bearing is permitted. At that point I will also be able to start physical therapy with Cam!

It was nice to see Dr. Shiple and everyone at Excel! For once I went into Excel smiling and apparently it was shocking because I heard about it for the hour that I was there.

My pain has been pretty minimal at this point! I take a valium at night to help with muscle spasms but I don't take anything during the day. It's not typical for a PAO patient (2 weeks out) to have very little pain but according to Dr. Shiple I am "wired" differently. I tend to wake up from major surgeries with very little pain-which is great but strange! However, I'd have to say that the nights are tough! I slept well in the hospital and could easily find comfortable positions but haven't had the same luck at home! The valium only works for a short amount of time and I have a difficult time sleeping! I guess I can't really complain as most people feel like this all day for weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment