Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Balance Beam

I had a breakthrough in my therapy..or at least how to go about some of my exercises. Part of my therapy is "gait training"..or re-learning how to walk. Due to the instability in my right hip and lack of flexion (mobility) in my left knee and muscular strength in my quad, I have a difficult time stepping over the cones. I also get very distracted and disoriented when other people walk by me. Cam said that this is normal and to be expected. I haven't walked unaided (correctly) in a VERY long time and it's a lot for my brain to process.

Last week, while I was walking over the cones, I said (to myself), "ugh I have no balance." Cam overheard and said that it was ironic for a gymnast to have no balance. I told him that I walk better on a balance beam than on the floor (always have)--so he set up some foam beams as a test. Sure enough I walked perfectly across the beams. I didn't even have to pause for 3 minutes before each cone to concentrate. He found this to be funny, noting that most people who are healthy find a beam more challenging (for obvious reasons). Of course, I grew up as a competitive gymnast and trained for years on a beam, so to me it's only natural. Instead of focusing on a widespread area, the beam allows me to focus on an isolated zone. Gymnasts have the ability to block out all distractions (sounds, people moving) when on the beam, so it's no surprise that incorporating this into my therapy proved to be no different. I now do all of my "gait training" on the beam..and we were even able to add some new balance and strengthening exercises as well.

Who would have thought that after the mess gymnastics left me in (although I can't entirely blame the sport for me having an undiagnosed genetic condition), it would actually prove to be a useful tool in my recovery!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I googled "Ehlers Danlos gymnastics" and this is what I found! What a blessing! I also was born with EDS type 3 and was a gymnast for many years before I was diagnosed! I had to stop because of it. I have heard of those Drs you have listed on the side! I was diagnosed about 3-4 years ago and I am still struggling with accepting the fact that I cannot do gymnastics anymore! It was my life!

    ReplyDelete