Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Play On

2.5 weeks down...13.5 weeks to go! Some may think it's crazy to countdown the weeks until the end of the semester, but I need to see the "end in sight" so to speak. At this point, I am taking this semester day by day. My classes are going well--minus the inability to focus at times (due to pain). I have a ton of work to do and really don't have any time to relax. I am really struggling with pain.

My right shoulder dislocated using crutches yesterday. Thankfully Dr. Shiple's office is on the way home from school---I was able to see him to make sure it went back in properly. Usually I can reduce my joints on my own, however when something doesn't feel right I always have Dr. Shiple check. He helps me manipulate/reduce it back in place. He used the ultrasound to check the laxity of my ligaments (HAHA) and to check the positioning because we both felt like it was stuck. Due to inflammation it took another subluxation (last night) to finally feel as if my shoulder was sitting in the socket correctly. Tomorrow Cam and I will work on finding a taping technique to help stabilize the shoulder while I am on crutches. Sometime next summer I will be having the right shoulder reconstructed--same procedure as the left.

Speaking of the left shoulder, it's doing great! My strength is improving (slowly), and I don't feel like I have any limitations. My ROM is functional and stable and I rarely have any pain (even with using crutches all day). If nothing changes, my shoulder will likely be discharged from PT next week. Unfortunately, I will not be joining my shoulder in this discharge because my hip and knees haven't graduated.

My hip is still not doing well. I have large tears in my iliopsoas and rectus femoris. Unfortunately other than surgery and/or playing the "waiting game," there really aren't many other treatment options. I have an appointment scheduled for a dextrose epidural in 3 weeks. If that numbs my leg then we are hoping to try PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma--treatments). If I do not experience any numbness from the injection then I will not go ahead with PRP--so fingers crossed I get numb! Cam said that I am not allowed to walk without crutches yet--pain and mobility wise I am a mess and he doesn't want to cause compensatory pain elsewhere. I have noticed that compression against my hip/groin helps a little. I will continue to have my groin wrapped, and wear compression shorts whenever possible. I am also starting a natural anti-inflammatory because my stomach doesn't tolerate anything stronger than Tylenol--and well, Tylenol doesn't do the trick.

My stomach has been an issue lately. I am nauseous all-day, everyday--it's a horrible feeling. Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing the nausea. Originally I thought it was Celebrex, but seeing as I only took that once and it would be out of my system by now, that can't be it. I will be making an appointment to see my PCP to discuss other possibilities--gall bladder, ulcer, etc.

I still haven't made an appointment for the ENT to discuss my inability/difficulty swallowing. I have been so overwhelmed with classes and other appointments that I just haven't had any time. Hopefully I am able to make an appointment soon because it would be great to have answers and possible solutions.

We are still waiting to hear back from the surgical scheduler to confirm dates for my December surgeries. Hopefully we get the confirmation soon. I would like to put this issue to rest (in the back of my mind).

Pain and exhaustion pretty much consume my life right now. 


This song- Play On- by Carrie Underwood describes how I have been feeling lately. It is a great motivational song..helps me to keep going despite all of my challenges!

0 comments:

Post a Comment