Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pop goes my shoulder...

My right shoulder dislocated. This wasn't the first time, but it was definitely the worst, thus far. It popped out while I was crutching (at PT) and I was able to reduce it immediately. However, it slid right back out and just hung at my side. I definitely think that was a sign that I need to start walking. Cam worked on some nerve release pressure points but there was no change. I talked to Dr. Shiple (he was at the Excel location today) and he reduced it--again. He told me to wear a sling, at least until my appointment next week. If it gets worse I have to see him tomorrow to check for nerve damage. It's possible I stretched a nerve when it dislocated. With EDS my nerves are already weaker than 'normal'.

I currently can't feel my shoulder and I get shooting tingling pains in my finger when I move it. I feels like my arm is no longer attached. I can't use my right arm to crutch, which complicates everything. I am not ready to move down to one crutch, but I don't really have a choice. To say it feels weak would be an understatement. It's pretty much dead...which in fact is actually a medical diagnosis--"dead arm." The term is often heard with pitchers in MLB. It is typically caused by instability--namely dislocations and/or recurrent subluxations. "Dead arm" does not go away on it's own---it requires surgery.

Good news it's that I was already planning on having surgery next summer (sad that this is actually good news) and my left shoulder was discharged from PT today!

Cam said that Thursday will be our "learn how to walk" day---that should be "fun." Both of my hips have been really painful lately. The pain in my left hip is likely due to acting as the sole weight bearing leg for awhile. My right hip pain is related to the tears I have in my rectus femoris and iliopsoas. I see Dr. Shiple next week for a dextrose epidural. If I am able to get numb, then I will try PRP for the tears. Otherwise, I am very reluctant to go ahead with PRP treatments with no local anesthetic. PRP is really my only option at this point.

I came across this excerpt from an EDS patient--I don't know the original author---very true!

"I know I look healthy, but just walking across the room feels like a marathon and going anywhere outside of my house feelings like climbing a mountain. I get tired more easily than most people."

Both of my knees have been killing me lately. I don't know if the change in weather has anything to do with it but they hurt all the time. Thankfully I have not experienced any subluxations/dislocations since receiving my new knee brace (Bledsoe 20.50). I still have not scheduled my surgeries for this December and I am getting very frustrated. I need to give my professors enough notice if I need to take any of my finals early. Fingers crossed we have the dates by the end of this week.

My kidney infection is FINALLY starting to get better. I switched antibiotics because Cipro wasn't working and I am hoping to notice more improvements soon.  I still need to have an ultrasound to make sure nothing else is going on but I expect to be kidney infection free by this weekend.

There aren't enough hours in the day for 5 classes + the homework that comes with them, physical therapy (which takes me 3+ hrs), appointments, and managing pain and dislocations. I am exhausted and in a lot of pain.

Oh, and I am sick of being brunette and have decided to go back to being a blonde!

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I came across your blog while doing some eds research. I hope you are feeling better soon and understand your frustration with having eds and trying to make your way in a normal world. I am mom to two adult daughters who have eds typelll, dysautonomia, migraines, chronic pain&fatigue issues, and ulcerative colitis. One is 26 and 29. I just wanted to say hang in there and best wishes with classes. I think people who have chronic illness to overcome while making their way in life are the strongest people and are to be admired for their courage and willingness to achieve over what tries to bring them down. Best wishes from a fellow edser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Thanks so much for the comment. I am sorry to hear that you and your daughters have EDS III as well. I hope you are all managing ok!

    Best of luck to you and your daughters! Thanks for the encouragement :)
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your state. A proper treatment could cure the shoulder dislocation. Thank you for sharing your experience. Shoulder Pain Treatment Center Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete