Friday, August 17, 2012

Shoulder Surgery: 2 Weeks Post-Op

Sorry I haven't updated.

I had shoulder surgery on August 3rd with my shoulder surgeon and therefore really haven't been up to typing a post, especially with one arm. I also had the screws removed from my Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy surgery (knee), and a hernia release.

Nice and bruised

Thanks to Ellen for coming to stay with us!

Thank you to my Aunt and cousin for visiting me in the hospital!

The same procedure I had done on the left shoulder was performed on the right. I am in a pillow sling for 6 weeks and then I will begin my long and slow therapy regimen. My shoulder pain is still pretty bad at night while sleeping but with Tylenol I am usually fine during the day. I am currently 2 weeks post-op.

I was released from the hospital as a "transfer only" patient--meaning I was only cleared to transfer from a bed to a wheelchair or commode and back. I was unable to pass the weight bearing portion of physical therapy during my hospital stay and my therapist didn't want PT to be the only reason I was stuck in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 2 days and surprisingly the same night that I was released I started to put my leg down (which I couldn't even attempt during my morning PT session at the hospital). The next day, I was walking again! The hernia pain is gone, but the incision areas (there are 2 different incisions) are sore.


I am traveling with my best friend Marena and her family to Boston this weekend. I have a post-op appointment on Monday and a hip consult with my hip surgeon. I had bilateral MRI-arthrograms for my hips as per his request and he will be evaluating them in more detail during my appointment.


I am a bit frustrated right now with everything that has been going on. My hips kill, my right knee has been really bothering me lately, my back has been acting up, and of course I am recovering from surgery. That's not even mentioning other EDS related issues that I have been dealing with that aren't ortho related. However, I am not going to get into that right now.

The Fall semester starts on August 27th. I can't say that I am excited or ready to return but I am getting closer to graduating so at least there's that. I will start the semester in the pillow sling and will have a driver for the first few weeks until I am cleared to drive. I always seem to have something going on to complicate things, but if I can survive a semester after knee and ankle surgery and only being 4 weeks post-op, I can manage with a pillow sling. I am taking 5 classes and have classes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesdays I only have 1 class and Thursdays I have off. The light Tuesdays and day off during the week will be helpful! I graduate in 3 semesters (Fall of 2013).


2 comments:

  1. What type of surgery did they do?? Praying for a speedy recovery girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a combination of different things done. Specifically a Capsular Shift was performed as an open procedure. The surrounding soft tissue was also tightened, although primarily because I was already opened up. The surrounding soft tissue tightening may not last that long, but hopefully the shift of the capsule holds out for awhile. I also had a labral tear that was repaired.

    ReplyDelete