Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stubborn Competitor

I posted this on Facebook this past week and figured I'd share it here as well...

In 2010 I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. EDS is a genetic connective tissue disorder with no known cure. Connective tissue makes up about 80% of the body and supports our skin, muscles, bones and ligaments. It also lines major organs. As a result, EDS is a whole body disorder and I have several other chronic disorders that I am forced to contend with everyday. I have Chiari Malformation and live with constant headaches. My blood pressure is just as stubborn as I am (though I may hold the edge) and my joints go out more than I do. However, I still live my life. I am a full-time student and plan on being a pediatric nurse someday. I have made adjustments over the last few years and there are activities I simply cannot do anymore (that is if I don't want my surgeons to kill me), but I don't let EDS define me. It is a major part of my life, but it is not my whole life.

I was once a competitive gymnast. I trained long hours and dedicated the early part of my life to the sport. It drove me. It defined me. I miss it more than words can describe. However, I believe that everything happens for a reason and though I don't necessarily understand why this was all thrown at me--seemingly all at once--I do know that I am stronger now because of EDS and the challenges I have been forced to overcome. I can conquer anything and I will continue to fight this. Looking back, I have gymnastics to thank for that. I have always been a stubborn and competitive person. Just because I am no longer competing, doesn't mean I can't use the same drive, motivation and determination to overcome whatever curveball life (or EDS) has to throw at me.

Below I have included 2 of my favorite songs---my theme songs!


I'm Alive
-Kenny Chesney 

Chuggin' Along
-Luke Bryan


Happy Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Awareness Month!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful inspiration to young people who have EDS and are struggling with adapting to a new lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have EDS and I read on the side that you had the ankle reconstruction surgery... im currently waiting for it. and If its not too much trouble can i ask you about it?
    mkdundas@gmail.com THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete