Saturday, July 21, 2018

What has EDS given me?



My life with EDS and chronic illness is not the one I had envisioned for myself. I had envisioned a life in Boston, working as a nurse at my favorite hospital (the hospital that has done so much for me). I envisioned pursuing a Master's in Case Management and/or Genetics to help others like myself navigate a complicated system. I had hoped to make a positive difference in people's lives. That is not my reality though. While I can certainly still make a difference (and I believe I will find my path), my goals and dreams have had to change due to EDS. I have had to focus more on short-term goals rather than long-term future goals, and they are almost always related to my health because that is my current priority. 

Chronic illness is present every single day. Just when you think you have a break from the pain and exhaustion, it comes storming back. On particularly bad days (or flares) it is easy to get stuck thinking about all of the negatives. Everything from the debilitating symptoms to grieving your previous life and the life you had hoped for. But truthfully, life with chronic illness also has a lot of positives.

You learn how to adapt. You learn to live despite your illness and altered reality. You learn to persevere. You learn to trust your instincts and fight for what you believe in. Everyday with chronic illness you learn...





So what else has EDS has given me...


#1 - Friendship! Because of EDS and chronic illness I have some incredible friendships with people who truly understand this battle. People who just get it without me having to explain anything. I have met people through my surgeons, in the ER, on social media, and at physical therapy. I am very thankful for my friends. Without EDS I am not sure that I would have the privilege of knowing these amazing people. 





#2 - Perspective...EDS has provided me with a different perspective. When something as simple as rolling over in bed can result in a hip, knee or shoulder dislocation, getting out of bed can lead to a fractured ankle, or opening the refrigerator could mean having to reduce a shoulder, you are forced to look at life differently. It forces you to stop taking "simple," everyday activities for granted. I have learned to focus on the bigger picture and not stress so much about the small stuff in life (okay, so I am still working on that sometimes). Regardless, there are things in each day to be grateful for and to appreciate.

#3- Laughter/Humor...I have learned to laugh and not take things (and myself) so seriously. Don't get me wrong...nothing I am dealing with is truly funny. But with my situation, if you don't laugh, you cry. So I choose (most of the time) to laugh at myself and the situation. I must admit though...unless you have EDS and/or chronic illnesses, you likely won't find the same things funny. 

So while it is not possible to be sunshine and rainbows everyday...I am still able to recognize that there are a lot of positives in my life and I am thankful for what EDS has given me. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment