Wednesday, July 21, 2010

44 but who's counting?

I had my second round of injections yesterday for my left knee. This time I had 44 shots and thankfully the ice pack didn't leak all over my leg. Dr. Shiple also prescribed lidoderm patches to try and alleviate some pain. The swelling has gone down and I still don't seem to have any pain relief. Hopefully I notice a difference by next Tuesday otherwise there is not much more Dr. Shiple can do.

I also had an appointment with Dr. Brown (my primary). She is sending me back to the cardiologist to have my heart checked again as I have had pre-syncope (pre-fainting) episodes with chest pain since being discharged from the hospital. I also experience chest pain when crutching up the stairs. Something about being lightheaded and having chest pain isn't normal. She mentioned that major trauma to the body-such as surgery-can bring out signs and symptoms of a pre-existing condition. I saw the cardiologist 2 months ago and was told that everything is fine so I am sure this is just precautionary. I may have to do a holter test (wear heart leads for 24 hours) but that's nothing compared to everything else I have been through. The pre-syncope episodes are also consistent with Orthostatic Hypotension (which I was informed I have). Basically, my blood pressure drops when I transition from a lying down position to standing leaving me lightheaded and feeling as if I am going to black out. Thankfully this doesn't happen every time but it is something that I need to be careful of.

We started our journey to Boston last night, making a stop in NJ. This morning we visited US Gym (my gymnastics club) and I saw my coaches for about an hour. I really missed them. My mom and I arrived at my aunt and uncle's house a couple of hours ago. My mom and I will be heading into the city tomorrow morning for my post-op appointment (8 weeks). I have to get x-rays taken to see if my bones have healed enough to start formal PT. I think that I will be given more weight-bearing privileges, however, my knee complicates everything. Hopefully my PAO surgeon has some answers as to how to deal with my knee pain and subluxations. I will be traveling back in August to see my surgeon if my knee problems haven't calmed down by then.

Tomorrow is the day I also get to meet 2 Hip Chicks for lunch. I am very excited about meeting them : )


Random side note: For those of you who are still using a PC computer/laptop-I suggest you make the switch to a mac before you cause yourself unnecessary stress. I was skeptical at first but I am in love with my macbook pro : P

0 comments:

Post a Comment