Monday, July 26, 2010

Cardiologist and Blood Work and PT...Oh my!

Today was a busy day-as is to be expected all week. I had a cardiologist appointment this morning to discuss my lightheadedness and chest pains. The doctor had me crutch down the hall with an oxygen monitor on. We learned that my oxygen saturation levels drop during activity which is not normal in someone my age. I was only crutching a short distance and the drop was pretty dramatic. I will also be doing a holter test in August to check for arrhythmias and/or other possible irregularities with my heart. Hopefully the tests come back negative but until then we wait.

After my cardiologist appointment I went to the lab for some blood work. Dr. Brown (my PCP) had ordered some tests last week at my appointment and I finally managed to get that done. However, the cardiologist also ordered blood work (STAT) and it wasn't until after the lady poked me 5 times and completed Dr. Brown's orders that she told me I couldn't have a STAT test performed at that location. STAT tests need to be performed at a hospital because they require fast results. It would have been nice to have known that BEFORE she started the test as I would have preferred doing it all at once. I am really not a big fan of needles, especially when my veins are a bit stubborn. I have one vein in my left arm that seems to work. Of course, I shared that with the phlebotomist but she didn't listen and proceeded to poke a vein that typically collapses. Well of course it did and I was left with a bruised and throbbing arm.

Today was my first PT session for my left (PAO) hip. Overall it went well. My knee hurt the entire time but at this point I need to just suck it up and push through. Cam said that when my hip and quad strengthen my knee will start to feel better. Some of the exercises felt very strange but weren't painful. I definitely feel restricted in terms of mobility and ROM. I was told that it's normal and expected because my hip is positioned differently and my body is used to my hip being loose and shallow. One of the big focuses now is weight-bearing. I did more weight-bearing exercises today than I have in the last 3.5 months combined. I still have A LOT of work to do to strengthen my hip and quad and restore function in my leg. Strength is very important, especially given EDS. My muscles are what will support me in the end. I will continue to have physical therapy 3 times a week for my hip/knee.

After PT my mom and I went to the hospital to have the STAT blood test done. Everything went very smoothly and I was in and out in about 15 minutes. The lady listened to me and used the vein I told her to. The test itself probably took 2 minutes.

Tomorrow is another busy day. I have PT in the morning and Dr. Shiple right after for more injections. It's great having Dr. Shiple work out of the Excel location. It makes travel arrangements (I can't drive yet) and communication between physician and therapist so much easier. I am also starting to make preparations for going back to school in the fall. I have been in touch with the disabilities director at SJU and my advisor to schedule classes. Hopefully I can schedule my courses to allow for work and physical therapy. Also, since I am commuting it would be nice to not have to drive to Philly everyday. I am looking forward to creating my schedule. I'd love to buy my books and visit the campus to find my classes.

If all goes according to plan I may head up to the beach on Wednesday with my brother to visit friends. I haven't been to the beach all summer which is very strange. Every summer my family goes to the beach for a week with several other family friends. We rent the same house every year and it's always a blast. However I usually have more than one weekend trip. This year has been different because of my hip surgery and recovery. I am still going to be limited but it'll be great to relax at the beach with friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment