Thursday, August 19, 2010

Good News/Bad News

I returned home today from Boston. We flew in yesterday and flew home today-a very quick trip. Although I love Boston (it's seriously my favorite place in the whole world) I was glad we were only gone for a day. I miss my puppies when we leave. They are absolutely the most adorable dogs. They make me feel so special and loved when I come home--always so excited.

This trip had both good and bad news. The good news is my left hip looks FANTASTIC. I had an x-ray of my pelvis and my PAO surgeon stopped by to tell me that the bones are completely healed and that I have no weight-bearing limitations whatsoever. He was very pleased with the outcome. Both him and my primary surgeon agree that the groin pain I am experiencing is normal following a PAO and is most likely iliopsoas impingement...again! I have modified therapy, which means more ART (Active Release Therapy) with Cam. Neither of them believe the groin pain is a result of a tear. Phew!

Now for the not so good news. The main reason for my appointment was for my surgeon to evaluate my left knee which has been causing major problems lately. I had an MRI done before the trip and the results were a bit shocking. According to my surgeon my kneecap does not sit in the groove properly--most likely a result of a muscular imbalance and an extremely stretched medial patellofemoral ligament. This causes major mechanical problems that are typically corrected surgically. I was given 2 options- 1) wear my brace and deal with the pain..understanding that the instability would likely increase...not really an option..or 2) have a MPFL reconstruction and lateral release surgery. My surgeon recommended the surgery to correct the problem, believing it was my best, really only, option at regaining stability in my knee. We plan to have the surgery done in December right after I finish my finals. This means that my RPAO/scope will be pushed back to March. If for some reason the surgery is not successful I would then undergo an osteotomy to correct the alignment of the tibial tubercle. An osteotomy involves cutting the bone and is a much more invasive procedure-as the PAO is. I will explain the surgery (MPFL reconstruction) at a later time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jill!

    Sorry to hear about all you probs. I had a lateral release done in high school bc of patellar subluxation. It seemed to help, but at the time I didn't know I had hip dysplasia. My knees had bothered me on and off for years and my right knee has felt a lot better and does not bother me at all after my RPAO, unfortunately my rt hip is not doing so well! I hope that all works out for you and the less surgeries the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley! I am hoping the lateral release and reconstruction are all I need.

    I hope your hips start to cooperate and that the scope was the last surgery for you (and your hips). Keep me updated and say hi to Chloe : )

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete