Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Holter Test

Today was a very busy day! My mom and I woke up at 5:30am to get ready to head into Philly. I had my meeting with the Disabilities Director at Saint Joseph's University. Everything went really well and I was truly amazed at how supportive and accommodating everyone at SJU is. I was able to pick up my student ID and parking permit for the semester-including a handicap sticker. My schedule is almost finished. Because I am a transfer student and I'm scheduling months after everyone else, a lot of the courses that I need to take are already filled. An advisor has been working really hard to get me into those closed classes and to make my schedule work around physical therapy and work. We had originally planned to schedule classes three times a week (to cut down on commuting and walking) but it looks like that isn't going to work. Now our goal is to make sure the buildings are all located close to one another. I am really looking forward to starting back up again!

After our visit to SJU, I had to have a holter put on to check for any irregularities or arrhythmias. I have to wear it for 24 hours and I can't shower! I have PT tomorrow which means Cam will probably make fun of me--but at least I know he cares!

A holter test is a continuous tape recording of a patient's EKG. It helps physicians understand symptoms such as dizziness, palpitations, or black outs-while the patient continues on with their normal daily activities.

Tuesday I had my 4th treatment of superficial prolotherapy for my knee. The 3rd treatment was very helpful and reduced my pain by about 50%. This time around I haven't noticed a difference. It's getting frustrating! Maybe it will start to work in the next couple of days. I don't have another treatment planned until August 17th as both Dr. Shiple and I are on vacation next week!

Today I have been experiencing sharp, catching groin pain. I am hoping it is literally my groin and not the cartilage (labrum)! My hip has also been sore lately but it's most likely because I have been working hard in PT and weight-bearing more. I was officially cleared by Cam to walk. Of course given the condition of my right hip and EDS I will most likely have some type of assistance with me just in case. I will still use a wheelchair at the beach to take pressure off both hips and my other joints as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment