Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Torn?

PT was horrible today and I have decided to cancel my appointments for this week. I know I am nowhere near where I need to be but I just can't deal with anymore pain right now. Cam probably won't be too happy that I cancelled and have no plans of returning at this point (although I will have to eventually).

I also saw Dr. Shiple. He read my MRI report and did an ultrasound of my MPFL (the ligament I will have reconstructed/replaced). According to Dr. Shiple my MPFL is partially torn and hanging on by a thread. There was one area that looked like it had literally been "blown away." I left Boston with the understanding that it was seriously stretched out but there was never mention of a tear (which I now know I have). I am going to send a quick e-mail to my surgeon to confirm that he saw the tear on the MRI. It's strange because an MPFL tear is common with a patellar dislocation but my kneecap has only been subluxating. Just goes to show how wacky my soft tissue is.

I start classes on Monday and although I am excited to get back into everything--I am annoyed that I am still on crutches and having so much pain. Dr. Shiple prescribed me some pain medications (I haven't decided if I am going to fill the prescription) and he wants me to rent a TENs machine (at home electrical stim for my knee) for added pain relief. I am fortunate to have 3 of my classes back to back in the same building to cut down on walking around campus. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will only have 1 class which gives me a lot of time for studying and homework (as well as PT when I decide to go back). I also start back at work next Wednesday. I will be working 3 days a week to start (Wednesday-Friday) and will coach the Level 4's and pre-team. Unfortunately I will only be able to make it to 1 or 2 competitions in December before I leave for knee surgery and later my scope/RPAO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment