Monday, October 25, 2010

Big Week!

Tomorrow is my first post-op from my reconstructive knee surgery (2 weeks post-op). As always I will be seeing Dr. Shiple instead of traveling back to Boston. I will probably see my surgeon at about 6-8 weeks post-op. If everything looks good, I can unlock the brace to 60 degrees of flexion. I can't even begin to express how exciting that sounds. I am sick of my knee being fully extended. It's awkward. I can also start sleeping without the brace. YAY!

All of my steri-strips have fallen off and my incisions look very nice. You literally cannot even see the 2 arthroscopic incisions, and the longer ones are very neat and once they are fully healed they won't be obvious.

I also start PT with Cam again on Wednesday. One of our biggest concerns was how to manage knee therapy if I was still experiencing groin pain. Well, as of right now (and since my screws were removed) I have had ZERO groin pain. I hope that continues because that will make my life, and Cam's job a lot easier.

My knee seems to be doing well! I get sharp ripping pains when my knee is in certain positions in the brace. I really can't stand the brace! Other than that my knee doesn't hurt! I have managed to take a couple walking steps here and there but it's a bit scary because I have no control over my leg. I might as well not even have quad muscles. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks we can get the quad muscles activated and I can ditch the crutches for the first time in almost 6 months. My elbows really can't stand them much longer and I don't want to end up in a wheelchair.

**Side note: Congrats to Shane's HS Varsity soccer team for winning the league 2 years in a row! District playoffs begin this week and I am excited. Since the World Series is going to be boring this year (I won't be watching) at least I still have some more soccer to watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment