Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Post-op Appointment

I just got back from my 2 week post-op appointment with Dr. Shiple. My incisions look great and the swelling has gone down dramatically. I am officially allowed to weight-bear as tolerated. Unfortunately because I have ZERO quad function/strength I will be on crutches for quite awhile. Once my quad strength is back I will be allowed to wean off crutches. At that time we will have to have my elbows evaluated to check for any nerve entrapment issues. The brace has been unlocked to 40 degrees of flexion and I no longer have to sleep with the brace. I am technically allowed to bend my knee to 60 degrees but that was a bit much at this point (first time I experienced post-op pain). I have therapy tomorrow so maybe I will be able to add some more flexion after that session. I am excited to start back at Excel with Cam! I am ready to put my left leg behind me!

Overall, the appointment went very well! I seem to be doing as well as you can expect given the circumstances. I am not a "normal" patient, and my recovery will never be "standard." I just have to take it one day at a time and not push myself too much! Laxity will always be a problem so I need to be smart and careful. Thankfully, I have a wonderful surgeon, sports medicine doctor and therapist to help get me back to living as pain-free as possible---until the right hip that is ; )

0 comments:

Post a Comment