Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back to Boston

My mom and I are flying to Boston tomorrow. I have a post-op appointment with my surgeon for my knee and a consultation for my shoulder with another surgeon. I will update on Friday when I have a plan! I am also meeting up with one of my Hip Chick friends : )

I had my shoulder arthrogram today. It was very painful--as always! I must have explained Ehlers Danlos Syndrome 6 or 7 times to the radiologist and doctor. I have a hard time understanding how someone graduates from med school without even a basic understanding of connective tissue disorders. The doctor who performed the injection told me he was going to "numb" the area with lidocaine. I laughed and explained that I have an insensitivity to the "caine" drugs (lidocaine, novacaine, etc). He told me it would be a lot more uncomfortable (the code word for painful) without a local anesthetic and after explaining several times that it wasn't going to work I just told him he could do it anyway. Even after explaining EDS and the insensitivity he was still shocked when I could feel everything and said that he wouldn't have been able to handle it as well. Thankfully he did manage to get the needle into the joint on the first try, which is a first! My shoulder is extremely sore and lifting it is close to impossible. Hopefully it calms down for my appointment on Friday so that the surgeon can do a proper evaluation without me jumping off the table and dislocating something else.

I also realized the other day that I am going to have a very difficult time sitting in the plane. I can't bend my knee enough to sit normally, so I have to hope that it is not a full flight. Fingers crossed!

Two of my Hip Chick friends are going in for hip surgery this week--Madeline and Mary! If everyone could say a pray that they both have successful surgeries and speedy recoveries that would be great!

"Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but those who fought, fell, and rose again."

2 comments:

  1. good luck with the flight. you can ask for a bulkhead seat for your knee - tell them you are disabled. you might need a note from your dr if the airline person is being a jerk about it.
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete