Sunday, December 12, 2010

Costa Rica

Several months ago I ran into a high school friend while shopping. We hadn't seen or spoken to each other since leaving for college, which was unfortunate. However, I believe that everything happens for a reason. We are rekindling our friendship and now we talk all the time. We also have some pretty exciting events planned for 2011. This summer we are going to the Kenny Chesney concert together, which we are both very excited for. She also invited me on a trip to Costa Rica at the end of April. It's a homestay, volunteer trip and should be a wonderful experience.

Given that I am having several surgeries this winter, I hope that I will be far enough along in my recoveries to go. Most people will probably think it's a bit risky and with EDS I would probably be "safer" at home. However, I don't see it that way. I know it will be an enriching experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Yes, I'd probably be "safer" at home, but I don't live like that. From the moment I was officially diagnosed, I chose to conquer EDS (so to speak). I am not scared of the diagnosis and I most certainly do not live behind it. I know that I will face many challenges in my life--most likely involving more surgeries...so why stop living? I have many goals and EDS will not stop me from pursuing them, just as it will not stop me from living my life and taking a trip to Costa Rica. The trip includes some of Costa Rica's finest attractions, including- a hike through a jungle/forest, relaxing on a beach, learning about the culture and interacting with the locals (speaking in Spanish), and much much more!

Be thankful for the people in your life. We all take different paths, but no matter where we go..we take a little of each other everywhere.

Bob Marley said it best-- "Love the life you live, Live the life you love!"

1 comment:

  1. Hello
    I also have EDS hypermobility'm drawn because of the climate and of course the beautiful country to Costa Rica.
    You're interested get in touch with me. www.cabinasyamann.com
    Wish you many pain-free time;) very surprised about your operations.
    Regards Tanja

    ReplyDelete