Thursday, February 10, 2011

Now and Then

We heard back from Boston today with the new plan for my surgeries--I will be able to schedule tomorrow (at least my RPAO). Instead of doing the surgeries a week apart (during the same hospitalization), they will be separated by about 4 weeks. Dr. Kim felt very strongly about this as the PAO surgery is a very invasive and extensive procedure--understandable.

I have made a lot of progress over the last year, despite some major setbacks! My left leg has been through a lot and unfortunately the trauma from multiple surgeries (and EDS) has left me with CRPS in my left leg. Regardless, I have still come a long way.

Left Hip-Now and Then
Now (after 2 hip surgeries- LPAO and scope)
-I have ZERO pain (a miracle)
-I have a "normal" hip in terms of femoral head coverage and positioning
-I have a 6 inch scar (battle wound)
-No more clicking, popping, and catching with every step
-I CAN WALK

Then (August '09- October '10)
-Hip dysplasia (shallow socket)
-Labral tear and FAI
-Severe groin pain with sitting, standing, walking..even moving at all
-Subluxating hip
-Crutches
-Deep achy pain that radiated down the side of my thigh

Incision Progress



Post-op day 1






2 weeks post-op









3 weeks post-op








7 months post-op










Choosing to go ahead with the PAO was the best decision I could have made.

1 hip down. 1 to go.


"Anyone can give up. It's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength"


1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am having a periacetabular osteotomy in 2 and a half weeks. I am just wondering if there is any advice you can give me. Please contact me - slpattison@gmail.com. I am 22, and as the surgery date is getting closer the stress levels in my body are increasing.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete