Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Post-op day 6-DISCHARGE

Post-op day 6: I was still in a lot of pain. I couldn't get out of bed to finish PT and I was literally dragged onto a commode and stretcher (for x-rays) by my nurse Chris. In an attempt to control the pain, I had an injection of Toradol. I had Toradol intravenously but once the IV stopped it was hard to keep up with the pain. The injection didn't work and I was left in a severe amount of pain and was unable to get out of bed. We decided to try Celebrex (on top of the valium and tylenol I was already taking) but unfortunately instead of taking the first dose at 3:30am there was a pharmacy back-up and I didn't receive it until 9am. The day was pretty uneventful and I spent it in bed trying to shift positions (although very painful) as often as possible in order to avoid sores/blisters and bruising.

DISCHARGE- I woke up in a lot of pain because I hadn't received any medications since 10:30pm. My nurse told me PT was coming around 1:30 to try and finish going up stairs. I wasn't concerned about passing PT, I just wasn't convinced I would be able to get out of bed to make it to PT. By the time I had PT I had 2 doses of my valium and Tylenol and one dose of Celebrex in my system. My pain dropped from a 10/10 to a 8-9/10--just enough to force myself to get out of bed (barely). I was so determined to be discharged, my mom took some bags back to the car to make the transition easier. I passed PT and was discharged--after getting all my prescriptions and a new script for PT for my RSD! I was honestly not expecting to be discharged because I still couldn't move well but mentally I needed to get out of the hospital-I will be back in 4.5 weeks for my pre-op/post-op appointments and open reconstructive shoulder surgery. That will also be an inpatient procedure (1-2 nights).

I will be home later today! We stopped in Connecticut to stay with my grandma! We always cut the trip in half and it's always great to see her--seeing as other than my surgery trips I only see her on the major holidays! I am looking forward to seeing my dad, brother and puppies tonight! I have missed them so much!

For most of my hospitalization I was roommates with one of my best friends Marena! She had her RPAO the day before me! It was great to have her as my roommate. Definitely made the time pass more quickly and we all had a lot of (painful) laughs! It was nice to have someone who truly understands the pain and frustration. It'll be nice to have a recovery buddy as well. I am sure it was also nice for my mom to be able to talk to and spend some time with her parents--who are wonderful people!

Once again thank you to everyone who sent flowers, cards, fruit baskets, and balloons! I really appreciate it--always brightens my day! Also thank you to everyone who visited me in the hospital, it was great to see everyone and put a smile on my face. Thank you to my Hip Chicks for posts of encouragement (Thank you Marcie for starting a discussion for me)! The texts, calls and facebook comments were very much appreciated as well!


(Balloon from my favorite nurse Chris)              (Flowers and Balloons from family and friends)




(Welcome home balloons)


I was also able to meet several Hip Chicks while I was in the Hospital. My friend Caitlyn came to visit and it was great to see her! I also met my friend Emma (who also has EDS). It was nice to hear her story and get a little more information on what to expect for my shoulder surgery. Strangely she is also a patient of my knee, scope hip, and shoulder surgeons. I also got to meet Amy who I had been talking to on Hip Chicks. It was great to meet her and talk to her for a little--even if it was right before being discharged!

As mentioned in a previous post, I also received visits from Ellen and Tim, and my Aunt and Uncle. It was great to see them and have them there during the difficult times!

A SPECIAL THANKS to my mom for everything she has done for me. Thank you for helping and supporting me through this stressful, painful and tiring process. Sorry for being stubborn and difficult at times! I couldn't have gotten through this experience without you and I appreciate everything you have done. I love you very much! Good news- at least my PAOs are done! Now it's time to prepare for the shoulder.

I have said this many times before but if you have hip dysplasia and are seeking treatment or advice please consider seeing the "hip team" at the Children's Hospital of Boston! Everyone at Children's is amazing.

I will post pictures soon of the x-ray and incision.

Key Words:
Toradol (Ketorolac) is used to relieve moderately severe pain, usually after surgery. Ketorolac is in a class of medications called NSAIDs. It works by stopping the body's production of a substance that causes pain, fever, and inflammation.
Celebrex (Celecoxib) is used to relieve pain, tenderness, swelling and stiffness.


*Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

1 comment:

  1. You are so very strong Jill! What you have just been through amazes me to how well you have handled it. I look forward to hopefully getting to meet you in May. You are doing really amazing.
    Have a safe travel back home too!

    ReplyDelete