Monday, March 28, 2011

Post-op day 2-5

Things went down hill from the last post!

Post-op day 2: I was still in excruciating pain for most of the day because the epidural was not working properly. Things started to improve during the night shift..the pain team decided to move the epidural back up to the levels I had the previous night. This meant a lower blood pressure which was monitored closely. I stayed in the 80/30 range for awhile. I had oxygen because my breathing rate was very slow. I dropped into very low numbers many times and set the monitor off constantly. The only positive was that I wasn't in pain and I had my new favorite NIGHT nurse Dan.

Post-op day 3: At 6am my nurse came in to turn my epidural off..and start on oral medication. I wasn't due for my Tylenol until 7:30am. I was told it would take 4-6 hours to wear off so I would still have a decent amount of pain relief for awhile. I tried to explain that it would wear off immediately because epidurals mainly consist of "caine" drugs (I am insensitive to all "caine" drugs--a constant flow of high levels will work to some degree but once that flow is discontinued it's almost as if my body just doesn't recognize it). However, my explanation and reasoning was shot down and off the epidural went. Within 3 minutes I was screaming/crying in pain (I know in the previous post I mentioned that I was in the worst pain of my life...well I lied..this was the worst pain of my life). At 7:30 (an hour and a half after my epidural was shut off) I was give my Tylenol--which of course didn't help..you need to build up to block the pain (especially when you are not taking narcotics). The pain team was called in to help and they decided the best option was to go back on the epidural for another day/night. I went back on the same level, but this time we added a very strong anti-inflammatory to help with pain relief. I was still on monitors and they continued to go off every couple of minutes--so back on oxygen I went. The epidural would be shut off the next morning..but this time we had a plan and I had one of my favorite night nurses from my first PAO!

Post-op day 4: At 5am I took my Tylenol and Valium. At 5:30am I took the strong anti-inflammatory. The epidural was shut off at 6am. I knew within minutes that this time would be different. I wasn't in severe pain, although I was in pain. I got out of bed to use the bathroom before seeing PT. My nurse thought it was better to use a bedpan (gross) but I wanted to get up--and that's what I did. Surprisingly it wasn't as painful as I thought! Later I saw PT and we did some gentle ROM. I was given the option of sitting in a chair for a couple of hours but I preferred the bed where I was able to take a nap (at least attempt). I ate toast!

Post-op day 5: Today was a better day. Pain was under control for the most part until now. I got up for therapy (I am associating my increased hip pain with crutching and standing for the first time in awhile). I have to wear a post-op knee brace (same one I have been wearing but new). I was told the knee brace needs to be locked in extension when I am crutching--for stability purposes. This made it impossible to get up out of a wheelchair and go up stairs. I didn't pass PT yet but we heard back from knee surgeon and he said the brace can be unlocked. Hopefully I pass tomorrow! Otherwise today was not very eventful. I slept a lot and ate frozen raspberries. I have my favorite night nurse Dan again!

Tomorrow I am hoping to get Chris (my favorite nurse)! I need to get x-rays, get a new brace, pass PT, and a bunch of other things. I am hoping my hip is not as painful! I haven't been feeling great today so hopefully that doesn't carry into tomorrow!

This experience has been COMPLETELY different than my last PAO. I am definitely happy to say I DO NOT have a postdural puncture--no epidural headaches. Last time I had zero hip pain but was hospitalized for 11 days due to the epidural complication. This time I was in the worst pain of my life for several day but don't have the complication! I was not expecting the pain to be as severe as it was. Caught me off guard for sure.

Thank you to everyone who sent flowers, fruit baskets and cards! They always brighten my day. Thanks to all of my visitors! It was great to see everyone and it made me so happy! The facebook posts and texts always cheered me up! (sorry if I didn't respond) I couldn't make it through this without the support of my family and friends.

*
"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

2 comments:

  1. Glad you've turned a corner! Good luck with the the recovery. If you ever need anything we are in Needham, MA only 10 miles from CHB.
    - Jennifer (whose daughter has EDS and 6-weeks post MPFL) ...troubles with pain management too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! Unfortunately my pain has gotten worse and instead of being discharged I am still at the hospital..hopefully the pain is controlled soon! Tomorrow will be 8 days post-op!

    ReplyDelete