Monday, March 21, 2011

Round 2 squared

Tomorrow is the big day! I have my 2nd and final PAO (this time on my right hip) and my 2nd knee surgery to address some of the pain I have been experiencing lately. I report bright and early tomorrow for what will be a very long day!

Thank you everyone for the prayers and Good Luck messages! I appreciate all the texts, e-mails, facebook posts and calls! Just about everyone I have talked to has asked me if I am nervous! The answer is NO--and that will not change later tonight or tomorrow morning. I have had many surgeries before (including both PAO and knee surgery). I am at the best pediatric hospital in the country with two TOP surgeons as well. I just want to get these surgeries over with so I can get back to living my life as a 21 year old.

With that said...the protocol for the RPAO is the same as last June. The surgery typically lasts 5-7 hours (not including the time for my knee surgery). I will spend about 7 days in the hospital and will have an epidural for the first few days to manage my pain. It is likely I will have a blood transfusion as well. My friend Marena will be on the same floor as me. She had her surgery today and all went well! It'll be nice to have a recovery buddy.

I will be non weight-bearing for 10-12 weeks because my shoulder can't take the impact of using crutches. It will be an interesting situation because I am having surgery on my right hip and left knee--and 5 weeks later my left shoulder.

My brother sent me a picture of our 2 puppies-Mick and Roo! I miss them so much and can't wait to see them when we get back!

(Left: Roo  Right: Mick)

















I hope everyone enjoys the first week of spring. It snowed in Boston today and is expected to snow Wednesday and Thursday...awesome!

I will update when I can!

"When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile."

1 comment: