Thursday, May 5, 2011

Post-Op Update

I saw both hip surgeons today for my post-op appointments (left knee and right hip). My right hip is doing great. The bones are healing ahead of schedule. I would be weaning to 1 crutch but because I am having left shoulder surgery tomorrow, and that is the side the crutch goes on, I am in a wheelchair for about 2 more weeks. I am allowed to fully weight-bear to transition in and out of bed and the car. The left knee is doing well too. The tracking is perfect and it's secure. We agreed that once I reach 125 degrees of flexion we will not push it any further. There is no need to reach "end limit" because with EDS my "end limit" is already beyond "normal." I will start back with Cam when we return and we will focus on strength.

My primary surgeon also evaluated my right knee as it has been trying to subluxate for weeks now. Unfortunately it is very loose and is not tracking correctly. It is tilted and sitting slightly lateral to the groove. As of right now I will continue to wear the stabilizing brace and work on regaining quad strength in PT. He hopes we can "get away" without surgery, or at least hold off as long as possible. I may have already reached the point of no return. At least this time I started in the stabilizing brace immediately verses after the first several dislocations. There is no easy solution to stabilizing my knee and preventing a dislocation--just bracing and/or taping.

I had the pleasure of meeting another Hip Chick today--Katie! It was great to finally meet her! She is such a sweetheart. She had her PAO at Children's on Monday! Hopefully I see her one more time before I am discharged.

Tomorrow afternoon is my left shoulder surgery! The surgery will take several hours and I will spend 1-2 nights in the hospital. I will post an update when I can.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that your appointments were productive and that you were able to discuss a lot of issues and get a plan of action started. Glad that things are going well and I hope the sleep meds will help!

    ReplyDelete