Saturday, May 7, 2011

1010 NW

I am back in MY room--1010NW. I spent 11 days in this room for my LPAO. I was happy when the PACU nurse told me I was assigned to 1010. It's sad, in a way, that I'd be excited about a hospital room..but when you're admitted to the hospital for several days (and for multiples surgeries over the course of a year) it's nice to be in a familiar setting with nurses you've have had before. It makes the overall experience much easier because let's be realistic--no one wants to be admitted to the hospital.

Everything went really well in surgery. My surgeon's report was positive and we expect good results. I have had a lot of my favorite nurses during this stay! It's always nice when you have the same nurses--they know you a lot better and it's a comfortable feeling.

The pain has been very bad. I am taking Tylenol and Toradol. Toradol is a strong anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) used to control moderately severe pain--typically after surgery. It is NOT a narcotic! I had Toradol after my RPAO to help control the pain and it helped take the edge off. Pain control is always the hardest part as I don't take narcotics or opioids. However, it is not impossible to manage pain on NSAIDs and Tylenol. I do it for every surgery and get along just fine after a few days. If my pain is controlled, I should be discharged tomorrow. Otherwise I will likely leave on Monday.

"Pain, you just have to ride it out, hope it goes away on its own, hope the wound that caused it heals. There are no solutions, no easy answers, you just breathe deep and wait for it to subside. Most of the time pain can be managed but sometimes the pain gets you where you least expect it. Hits way below the belt and doesn't let up. Pain, you just have to fight through, because the truth is you can't outrun it and life always makes more." - Grey's Anatomy


Shoulder surgery recovery is very long and painful. I will spend 6 weeks in a pillow sling. Formal PT will start at 6 weeks post-op (after I am cleared from the sling). As I mentioned previously, ROM will not be a focus. Strength will be very important to help maintain a stable joint.

"The goal of any surgery is total recovery--to come out better than you were before. Some patients heal quickly and feel immediate relief. For others the healing happens gradually, and it's not until months or even years later that you realize you don't hurt anymore. So the challenge after any surgery is to be patient. But if you can make it through the first weeks and months, if you believe that healing is possible, then you can get your life back." - Grey's Anatomy

Note: This post was typed with one hand.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that things went well and that good results are to be expected! I was talking with my parents this past weekend and told them your motto. They said you are a very wise individual. I too, have been trying to take that motto to heart. I hope that recovery is uneventful w/ no complications and that you will come back ready to strengthen a newly tweaked shoulder! Love u girlie!

    ReplyDelete