Friday, May 20, 2011

Snap, Crackle, Pop!

That's how my body feels...

My SI joint popped out again and the rest of my back has been cracking and snapping. My back pain has really been horrible lately. There is not much I can do about it because of my shoulder. It has also been raining a lot so I haven't been able to use the hot tub as much as I'd like.

Recovery from my shoulder surgery has been rough. It's very frustrating to have one arm, especially when my non-operative shoulder dislocates/subluxates. Everything is exhausting and makes simple tasks, such as showering (and typing blog posts), very difficult. I see my surgeon in the middle of June for a post-op appointment and if everything looks good I will be able to stop wearing the pillow sling and start formal PT. I cannot wait for that day--no sling means more freedom and formal PT means progress.

I had my first PT appointment today for my right hip, and resumed therapy for my left knee. My hip is very sore but Cam said I did well--for my first day. For the next 4 weeks I will be doing basic exercises and relearning how to walk. When my shoulder is cleared, the real fun begins. I have A LOT of therapy ahead of me, which involves much more than just strengthening muscles (although that will be very important later on). Now that my hip dysplasia has been corrected we will be working on regaining full body mobility with the the proper motor control and alignment. For example, simply strengthening the quad muscles in my right leg (to prevent dislocations in my right knee) won't do the trick. In order to have true kneecap stability and tracking, I need to regain proper motor control and stability of my pelvis. However, in order to have control over my pelvis I need to have core stability. This pattern continues right on up to my head and neck. Once my shoulder is cleared in 4 weeks we will start at the top. Sounds confusing but it's really just an example of how the body works together to function. If one joint/system/organ is not working correctly, the rest of the body over compensates or works harder--in the end leading to other problems. When everything functions correctly, there is a lesser chance of throwing other areas off. This has definitely been the case for my body--especially over the last year!

*We weren't able to start whole body mobility/motor control earlier because I had too many compounding issues and still needed to have my right hip corrected!

My cyclone puzzled out like this...hip dysplasia/labral tear--->surgery--->quad atrophy--->left kneecap dislocations--->knee surgery= too long on crutches given my EDS--->shoulder dislocations--->shoulder surgery

I will still need my right shoulder and ankles reconstructed at some point--likely starting next summer with my right shoulder. For me, once something is already problematic (dislocating/subluxating, unstable, etc) it usually means or requires surgery.

Shane's State semi-final game is tomorrow. If they win, he plays in the State Championship game on Sunday! GO Shane-o!

I see Dr. Shiple on Tuesday for my for my back and 2 week post-op appointment!

GO BRUINS!

2 comments:

  1. Love the new layout and the writing on the left menu. You are an inspiration; keep that attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I appreciate that and love hearing positive feedback about my blog.

    ReplyDelete