Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ankle Surgery

Today was not a very good day...not until the Bruins won to force a game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals! That just about made up for the news I received at my appointment!

I saw my surgeon today for a follow up on my shoulder and an evaluation of my ankle instability. I mentioned in a previous post that I have been having a really hard time with my right ankle lately. It rolls all over the place and has been really painful. I have a history of sprained/fractured ankles but it has become a much bigger problem. He did a test to check the instability and immediately was not happy. Apparently my right ankle is horribly unstable. When he was pulling (gently) I felt as if my ankle wasn't attached to my leg. He agreed and followed up by telling me it was not going to last much longer. I asked if I could wait until next summer to have the surgery but it's not realistic. I will have the surgery in December during winter break. I won't be missing anymore school and will start the spring semester off in a cast. It's an extensive procedure and requires a lot of immobilization and rehab. I will spend the entire semester (and more) in therapy working with Cam! I was really looking forward to enjoying the rest of the year with no surgeries but with EDS plans change! I was given a "package" of supplies to support me until the surgery. I am currently in a walking boot for 4 weeks as I am coming off of a pretty bad sprain. I also have an aircast stirrup splint and lace up stabilizing brace! I was told to use any of the 3 during the next 6 months! I have an MRI on Wednesday to make sure I didn't rupture any ligaments and to check for other damage that an x-ray doesn't pick up on. My left ankle is very loose as well but it has not been problematic and won't be addressed until I start having problems.

On a positive note, my surgeon said my shoulder looks great! I am officially cleared from the pillow sling. I have a little more ROM than most people at this point in recovery (no surprise there) but overall he is happy with the tightness. Strangely, I am crooked. When standing straight and upright, my left shoulder (operative side) looks "normal" and my right side hangs down low. I will post a picture later to show the difference. It's crazy to think that at one point both of my shoulders were so loose that they drooped down so low. My right shoulder will be fixed next summer. Hopefully that will even them out.

GO BRUINS! Game 7 on Wednesday @ 8pm! Bring home the CUP boys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment