Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cleared

I was officially cleared to walk after over 15 months of some type of assistance (mainly my wheelchair). I still have to work on the proper techniques with Cam..but this is definitely a STEP in the right direction. It is progress that I definitely needed. This will help boost my motivation to keep up with my therapy and not give up when I get frustrated..which lately has been pretty often!

I have definitely made progress in therapy, although some exercises are very difficult because I have major SI joint instability (lower back). I was told I need an SI belt for now to help stabilize my pelvic region! Hopefully that provides some relief and stability. My right hip feels pretty good! I have groin pain with flexion movements...my psoas are irritated again..but this is nothing new! Cam said I have been doing well (hip wise) and I have made more positive/forward progress than he was expecting at this point in my recovery. Hopefully things continue to move forward!

I will be heading to Cooperstown this weekend to spend time with my family and watch my cousin in his baseball tournament. Family is very important to me and I look forward to seeing everyone! From Cooperstown my mom and I will be traveling to Boston for my post-op appointments next week.

I will see my shoulder surgeon for my shoulders and ankles and my hip/knee surgeon for my knees and hip. If all goes according to plan I should be allowed to stop wearing the pillow sling--fingers crossed--and expect to start formal PT for my shoulder when I return home! It is possible that my surgeon will cast my right ankle. I have been really struggling with instability lately. I have "sprained" my ankle several times in the past couple of weeks...each twist doing more damage. An awkward or forceful twist/roll of my ankle could cause my right kneecap to dislocate. My knee will be re-evaluated next week, but as of my last visit it was dangerously loose. We are doing everything we can to prevent any dislocations/subluxations but with EDS it's hard to control!

I will also be meeting up with one of my Hip Chick friends, Ashley, to go shopping on Newbury Street and spend time together enjoying Boston (my FAVORITE place)!


I will post an update after my appointments next week! I hope everyone has a great week with lovely weather...and of course as pain-free as possible! 

Go BRUINS!

3 comments:

  1. Jill, this has to be the best news yet!! The rest will come, and you know that better than anyone. Your day to day challenges never seem to dampen your spirits (although I know there are days you just want to keep the covers over your head), and I love how you continue to inspire! While most would say the world is beating them down and want to throw in the towel and quit, you just keep moving forward. It's the only way to go! Love you, thank you for your encouragement! Have so much fun shopping with Ashley in Boston! And I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pillow sling goes away and even though you dread the thought, I hope you get the ankle casted or braced for better stability. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! That is def great news and progress! Keep it up! I know that it has been rough lately, but thats what friends are for...to lean on, encourage and love one another. I am so grateful for all of you. And I am so excited to shop and hang out on Newbury Street! Boston and shopping, it doesn't get better! Ok, maybe our babies, but its close! So happy for you! Congrats on the great news and keeping the fingers crossed for more great news this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! I love you both!

    Marcie- I hope your pain gets better soon and you start to get some energy back (more late night phone conversations)! Hope those headaches subside too! Keep moving forward and appreciate all the milestones..no matter how small!

    Smashley- I can't wait to go shopping on Newbury Street with you! Boston is my favorite place! You will do awesome in your surgery and you will have a great recovery..if you believe that this will help with your pain...it will!

    Keep chuggin' along (haha sorry I am listening to Chuggin' Along by Luke Bryan and it seemed to fit).

    ReplyDelete