Thursday, June 30, 2011

Functional or Structural

I talked to Cam today about my back issues. We discussed the curve in my spine and whether or not this warrants any further review. He said at this time I have "functional scoliosis." Essentially the curve in my spine is not necessarily related to a spine deformity, but rather is the result of other mechanical and underlying abnormalities elsewhere. This can be caused by muscle spasms, leg length discrepancies, inflammatory conditions, etc. Typically functional scoliosis is temporary and requires no treatment because the structure of the spine is normal. However, that's not necessarily the case for me. It is unknown at this time if I actually have structural scoliosis. We are simply calling it functional because I have never been diagnosed with formal/structural scoliosis before. Once I have returned to a "functioning" state, (when my gait returns to normal, when I am no longer crippled over with back pain and spasms, and when the functional scoliosis would no longer be a problem), I will have an x-ray of my spine to determine if I do in fact have structural scoliosis and to what degree.

**Scoliosis has been associated with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

1 comment:

  1. Yes you said good ! scoliosis is associated with ehlers he needs Scoliosis treatment .

    ReplyDelete