Sunday, December 18, 2011

You better not pout...

...I'm telling you why, Santa Claus is comin' to town!

I am still in the hospital. Due to an insane amount of surgeries on Friday, 10NW (my wing after surgeries) was filled to capacity. I was instead admitted to 10S, which is primarily transplant patients. I was so excited to see one of my 10NW nurses pass by the PT room. He even came to my room after his shift and we talked about my next surgery. He told me that 10NW will likely be "quiet."

Day 0-Surgery
I had an afternoon surgery and despite the insane amount of surgeries, my surgery was on time. I got to listen to Kenny Chesney in the OR. My surgeon warned me several times that this was going to be "very painful" and "comparable to a PAO." He certainly was not joking. WOAH PAIN! I also had a drain in my knee. It is expected to put out 30cc's of blood but I put out 120cc's...therefore, the drain could not be removed the next day! Darn. Key word on first day: OUCH!

*In recovery I saw both of my surgeons. They both felt the surgery went very very well. I have a post-op brace, cyrocuff, and huge wrap. When up and crutching (which has not happened yet) the brace has to be locked at 0 degrees. I am non weight-bearing for the most part as the bone is broken with screws holding it in place. When lying in bed I can unlock the brace...which is set from 0-60 degrees.

*My hip surgeon also took my RPAO screws out during my knee surgery!


Day 1- Post-op
OUCH! During the night shift I began taking Toradol and once that started working I felt so much better. However, the 2nd dose of Toradol stung like crazy going through the IV and eventually I started to develop some irritation and a bump at the IV site...it was time to remove! I don't do well with IV's--they usually either blow early, roll, jump, or disappear completely. Needless to say I was very happy to have it taken out, even though it meant no more toradol. I started taking Motrin and Tylenol around the clock. It's not really doing anything special...like reducing my pain! But this was something I am fully aware of before surgery. PT came to get out of bed but my bp was in the low 80s and dropped when sitting up. Orthostatic Hypotension is already a baseline for me so this is to be expected. However, this surgery has been particularly difficult with being able to get up for PT. Instead of getting out of bed, we just sat at the end. When moving my leg I feel like the incisions are ripping open!

The Bruins played the Flyers in Philly and as Jack Edwards said, "This. is. a. skunking." The B's won 6-0, scoring 4 goals in the first period. The Bruins are currently tied in points in the conference with the Flyers.

Day 2- Post-op
OUCHHHH! No more toradol. I am only taking Motrin and Tylenol. Today I got into a wheelchair for PT. Woah was that painful! We got to the PT room and I couldn't stand right away because I was feeling syncopeish (I made that up, but basically I felt like I was going to faint). Once I finally attempted to get up, I only managed a couple of steps (and by steps I mean caterpillar, toe rolling steps). In the middle of the parallel bars I felt dizzy and sick and had to turn around and sit down. That ended that PT session. I sat in the wheelchair for awhile to hopefully get more used to sitting upright but then it was pork chop time. The pork chop is a tub like thing that is shaped like...well, a pork chop...and it's used to wash your hair when you can't take a real shower. It felt great to have my hair washed. However, I had another PT session in the afternoon. Getting out of bed was a lot easier and I did most of the moving by myself, but again my bp dropped and I felt like I was going to faint so we sat down and went back to my room. In my room I took 3 steps with crutches and the therapist was convinced that I am comfortable on crutches when my bp is stable. I have another session tomorrow morning.

Pork Choppin' it

My drain came out today. Oh my gosh, that hurt so badly. The fellow said that most people are doped up on narcotics and therefore don't really feel the drain coming out. Well, I felt it, and it hurt. A lot. At least it's out now! That's progress!

I am hoping to be discharged tomorrow. I still need to pass PT but I know I am capable if my bp doesn't get in the way. I need to get out of here because I will be back for the ankle. I am ready to enjoy Christmas with my family (even if I am in a lot of pain).

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment