Monday, June 25, 2012

Back in Boston

I had my appointment with the spine surgeon in Boston as a second opinion. I am very happy to say that he does not believe I need a fusion at this time. He will consult with his colleague (neurosurgeon) for another set of eyes on the brain side of things, but it does not look like there will be any neck/head surgery in the near future.

I may have shoulder surgery in the coming weeks. My shoulder is horrible. I am in constant pain and it is out of the joint more than it is in. We are trying to schedule it for July but I need to be able to drive to school by the end of April and my shoulder surgeon will be away in the middle of July.

Both my hip surgeon and my ankle surgeon sat in on my appointment with the spine surgeon. It was a surgery day for them, and they took the time to touch base with me. My hip surgeon even spent an extra 35-40 minutes with us going over my hip pain. My hips have never really felt good after my surgeries. It turns out I may have labral tears in both hips. We know there is at least a small tear in the right hip because it was present before my PAO and we never addressed it. I may also have some FAI (impingement) and I have painful snapping hip in the right hip. The left hip, however, is worse. It's possible that when I fell 2 years ago (after my first scope), I re-tore the labrum. We will find out in the next week or so when I have bilateral MRI-arthrograms (OUCH). If I do have tears, I will have arthroscopic surgery to debride the torn areas. Debridement was what we tried to avoid the first time around, but given my laxity, if the labrum has re-torn, that is a good indication that a repair of the labrum will continue to tear. I will update after my MRI is read by surgeon.

I am going to my first Red Sox game at Fenway tonight! It's been raining all day but they believe the game will still be played. I am very excited to spend the day in Boston with family and I am so appreciative of being invited to the game!

3 comments:

  1. have fun at the game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! My daughter had a cervical fusion last October with Dr. Henderson, due to Chiari and EDS. She is doing better, and rarely finds that her loss of motion to be a huge issue as far as we can tell. While she is not pain free, she is greatly improved! She can take trips and attend church camp and meetings that were out of the question before her fusion. I am thankful that she had the opportunity to have the surgery.
      Blessings to you,
      Rebecca
      www.caringbridge.org/visit/rachaelyoung

      Delete
  2. I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing a lot better after her fusion! That is fantastic. Dr. Henderson was wonderful!

    All the best,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete