Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Invisible Illness Week

I found this on another blog and thought I'd add it here as well. Here are 30 things about me that you may not know. Originally taken from www.invisibleillnessweek.com

1. The illness I live with is: Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS)- Hypermobility Type 3
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2009
3. But I had symptoms since: red flags in extreme flexibility as a gymnast and around age 13 when my back pain started
4. The biggest adjustment I've had to make is: giving up gymnastics
5. Most people assume: either I'm "normal" or I'm faking my injuries
6. The hardest part about mornings are: waking up to a dislocated shoulder and having no feeling in my arms
7. My favorite medical TV show is: Grey's Anatomy & House- Favorite TV Show: NCIS
8. A gadget I couldn't live without is: iPhone and heating pad
9. The hardest part about nights are: falling asleep with pain and Restless Leg Syndrome
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins: Neurontin 3x a day for CRPS
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have tried acupuncture, Hivamat, and hot stone massages. Acupuncture never worked and Hivamat was not covered by insurance, therefore became too expensive.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible or visible illness I would choose: probably invisible
13. Regarding working and career: I am still a full-time student with 3 semesters left. I have not been able to work (coach gymnastics) for 3 years.
14. People would be surprised to know: how many dislocations I have in a day
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: how inactive I have become due to multiple surgeries and recoveries.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: accept it and move forward
17. The commercials about my illness: there aren't any
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: gymnastics and working out
19. It was really hard to have to give up: gymnastics and coaching
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Boston sports teams (more passionately and obsessively)
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Honestly, I don't remember what "normal" feels like but I would get on a balance beam one last time
22. My illness has taught me: to not take anything for granted and to appreciate the small things in life
23. Want to know a secret? Things people say that get under my skin: I get angry when someone tells me that I "look fine," "it's not a big deal," and "it could be worse" (which is true but doesn't always make my situation any easier)
24. But I love it when people: ask me about EDS to learn more and include me in their plans even if I am unable to attend
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react"- Author Unknown and "All you can do is just keep going and thank God for what you have...keep Chuggin' along"- Luke Bryan
26. When someone is diagnosed I'd like to tell them: there are a lot of people who understand what they are going through, utilize support groups.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: I don't judge other people based on what they can't do because I don't know what they are dealing with and I understand a lot more about other illness and how society perceives people with disabilities
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn't feeling well was: they were just there for me
29. I'm involved with Invisible Illness Week because: it helps raise awareness
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Appreciative. Thank you for taking the time!

Help spread awareness of Invisible Illnesses, and of course Ehlers Danlos Syndrome!

2 comments:

  1. I finally figured out how to get back on your blog. I am a little slow and I have some catching up to do.

    Love you,

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post...you are very insightful,and a beautiful writer. I wish you well, and will be praying for you!! Hope things at least become stable for you...I know the difficulties living with EDS (I have type 4, Vascular) I will be thinking of you! Feel free to check outmy own blog at www.fightdysautonomia.blogspot.com ~ Destiny (Fellow EDS'er)

    ReplyDelete