Wednesday, September 26, 2012

BeLEAF


I am currently 5 weeks into the semester and my classes are going well. I really love my professors and the classes are very interesting. Hard to believe that there are only 9 weeks left.

I have had 3 PT sessions for my shoulder and I already have a significant amount of ROM for only having started a week ago. It's one of the "blessings" of EDS, although I am sure my surgeon would disagree (he definitely wouldn't be surprised though). We are not pushing the ROM. At this time everything is passive. I am still several weeks away from active range of motion exercises. Right now we are focusing on proper breathing and posture so that when I am ready for AROM, I am doing them correctly. Any ROM that we do is lead by my left arm. My shoulder is definitely sore from PT and Cam's iron thumbs but I am glad that we have started the rehab process. I haven't woken up with a dislocated shoulder in 8 weeks! It feels amazing to have a shoulder that stays in place. A HUGE thank you to my amazing surgeon!

Incision- 8 weeks post-op
My headaches have been getting worse but there is really nothing I can do right now. I have to finish the semester and consider my options. I am looking into whether or not tethered cord could be the underlying cause of Chiari. If tethered cord makes sense, the fix is significantly easier than the previous plan of a decompression and cervical fusion.

It is officially my favorite season! I absolutely LOVE the Fall and Winter. The weather is perfect (although my joints often disagree) and I can't wait for the leaves to start changing colors. The one thing this Fall/Winter is missing so far is hockey. With the NHL lockout, I don't know when I will get to watch my Bruins bring the Cup back to Boston!




Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you STAND!


0 comments:

Post a Comment