Saturday, January 5, 2013

Left Hip: 3 Weeks Post-Op

Yesterday was 3 weeks post-op! I spoke with my surgeon via e-mail and I will probably see him for a follow-up in the Spring. At that time we will discuss a possible date and plan for the right hip which will be sometime in the summer. Until then I will work on strength and mobility. Good news is my hip hasn't snapped since before the surgery--so far so good!
Incision- 3 weeks post-op
I started PT this week and had my first two sessions. So far everything has been going well. I am walking without crutches but Cam wants me to use the cane for now. I don't really have a lot of pain. The incision is sore and the area is bruised but that's about the extent of my complaints. Occasionally I get a burning pain when I move while sitting. That is the worst of the pain. I can't sleep on my left side yet but have no other problems sleeping with the left hip. I do notice that my leg gets very tired pretty quickly. That should improve with more strength.

My ankle has been hurting a lot more lately. I iced it last night and will continue to do so. I have to schedule my MRI for the right knee and ankle. As I mentioned in a previous post, my ankle surgeon wants to see what's going on because he suspects a tear in the graft in my ankle. The surgery was over a year ago now and I really shouldn't be having this much pain. I will send my MRI to Boston as soon as it is completed--hopefully before I start the Spring semester.

Congratulations to Team USA Hockey on winning the gold medal in the World Junior Championships!

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear your hip recovery is going nicely. Not so good about the ankle. Is it the same side or opposite of the hip surgery? In either case it could be overly-stressed compensating for the reduced weight-bearing on the hip. Hopefully that's all it is and not a tear. I know that when I have an acute joint strain and have to take it light on the joint, all the others get stressed and painful from taking up the slack. I'll be hoping the MRI doesn't show anything drastically wrong.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    It is the opposite side of the recent hip surgery but unfortunately this isn't a result of compensating. The ankle was operated on last December and has never felt good. It is definitely stable now, which is fantastic, but the pain I had during rehab never went away. The pain is localized to the site of the graft so there is likely damage. Also during mobility tests the ankle pops and snaps awkwardly so something is wrong. However, if the pain doesn't improve or go away by this summer something will be done regardless of the findings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that popping and snapping. In my case, no one joint does that all the time but they all do it some of the time. Reminds me of that Toby Keith song :-)

    ReplyDelete