Wednesday, January 22, 2014

smartCrutch Review

As I mentioned in my previous post, I ordered a pair of smartCrutches and said that after giving them a test run I would provide a review. 

After testing them out for 5 days and consulting with customer service, I will be returning them. Unfortunately the forearm piece (the most important feature) is too long for my arms and as a result the arm cuffs pinch me. There does not appear to be any solution as the forearm length was set to the shortest setting. 

However, though they do not work for me because they are too big (and do not come in any smaller size), I did notice a difference. I can certainly see why many with EDS claim these are a "life saver." It really does help take off the strain on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders. If they were not so expensive, I would consider making my own adjustments to the cuff to prevent it from pinching me. However, for the cost, I am not interested in playing around with adjustments. I was hoping these would be my long term crutches, so I expected them to not cause additional discomfort while using them. For individuals who are not as short as I am (5'), these certainly have a lot of potential to greatly help those they are designed for. One thing I noticed, however, is that you need to have quite a bit of upper body strength to be able to use these. 

Though I will be returning my pair, I would recommend these to others with EDS as long as their forearms are longer than mine! 

It looks like I will stick to traditional crutches for my upcoming surgeries…unless I find another alternative. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment