Wednesday, August 15, 2018

What's in my "Purse": Chronic Illness Edition

With chronic illness your health can change minute to minute, hour to hour and day to day. This means your needs change as well. Most people who know me would agree that I am basically prepared for the end of the world. My backpack and car are stocked with everything I could possibly need in case of an emergency, changing health situation, or an apocalypse. Some people make fun of my backpack and how much stuff I carry with me, saying that it is heavier than me. They are not far off. But here's the thing...I have used everything in it and given my health is so unpredictable, I can't justify removing any of the items I carry.

Yes, everything in the list below fits in this backpack


So here is a list of items I carry with me everyday in my "purse" (backpack):
  • Epi-pens (2)
  • Anaphylaxis protocol
  • Emergency medical card (lists emergency contact information, allergies, diagnoses, daily meds, blood type)
  • Emergency EDS information card (attached to outside of backpack)
  • Asthma protocol
  • Inhaler (clipped to outside of backpack so I don't have to panic looking for it at the bottom of my bag when I actually need it)
    •  Spacer for inhaler
  • Pulse oximeter
  • Vick's Vapor Rub (I don't know what I would do without Vick's)
  • Mini clip-on fan and necklace fan (in case I need to cool down but I am using crutches)
  • Chapstick (I like pumpkin spice) 
  • Feminine products
  • Pens
  • Glucometer and blood sugar testing supplies 
    • Sugar/candy/glucose tabs 
  • PRN (as needed) medications 
    • Tylenol 
    • Benadryl (liquid, chewable, tablets)
    • Prednisone
    • Phenergan
    • Granisetron
    • Excedrin
  • Purell and hand wipes
  • Emesis bag
  • Noise cancelling headphones 
  • Masks
  • Back-up port and infusion supplies
  • Wallet (of course) 
  • Planner
  • (Eye) glasses
  • Mini bottle of my favorite lotion (either Johnson & Johnson lavender lotion or their baby lotion)
  • Tissues

0 comments:

Post a Comment