Monday, May 10, 2010

Active Release Technique

Someone on Hip Chicks asked me about Active Release Technique which I am currently doing at PT and so I thought I'd explain it here as well:

Active Release Technique, or ART, is a combination of manual therapy and physical therapy exercises. It is a soft tissue system that uses massage techniques and movements to help treat injuries related to muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. It can be used to treat a number of different conditions. Hip pain, impingement syndromes, joint dysfunction, knee pain are all problems ART can help to control. I mentioned knee pain because people with chronic hip pain or those living with dysplasia may often have knee pain as well.

I am currently doing what my therapist calls "fake" ART. This is because I have severe pain on basic movements due to an injury to my capsule. However, there is already a noticeable difference in my range of motion (ROM).

Not all therapists know the proper techniques of ART so it is important to check.

To learn more about Active Release Technique here is the website-http://www.activerelease.com/

Here is a video of ART exercises being done for hip pain-don't be confused by the title..this video shows ART on a woman who runs and does yoga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59KeKJ_UCI

1 comment:

  1. Unlike cross fiber friction or trigger point therapy, ART involves the therapist and the client. In many cases, the therapist may move the client's body parts without the assistance of the client; the therapist will shorten the muscle, apply sustained pressure on the belly of the muscle, and gently stretch the limb to its full extension. Click to get the services of Chiropractor For Shoulder Pain, Active Release Chiropractic and Denver Colorado Chiropractors.
    This method is more commonly referred to as "pin and stretch." The muscle is pushed onto its proximal bone and elongated into a stretch.

    ReplyDelete