Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Knee and Ankle

First off, a HUGE thank you to my Aunt for taking the day off from school on Friday to take me to my surgery. Words cannot accurately express how truly appreciative I am.

Hip update: I have only been taking Tylenol twice a day--once in the morning and once at night. I am pretty independent as well, with the only exception being I cannot put my left sock on by myself.

Just a tad bit swollen

Yesterday we went to Boston to see my shoulder surgeon. I hadn't seen him since my shoulder surgery in August so he wanted to see how things were progressing. Fortunately everything with my shoulder looks great. It is definitely stable and the range of motion is good. He expects it to stretch out a little bit more over time.

We also discussed my knee and ankle pain. Last December I had both surgeries and a year later I am still having quite a bit of pain. My ankle swells often and hurts with weight-bearing and my knee hurts with flexion and extension. Both likely involve the cadaver graft. I will have a MRI for both after the holidays to see what the problem is. He thinks I have a tear in the graft of my ankle and it's possible the knee graft is too tight causing it to get stuck on the bone. I had this problem with my left knee and ended up having another surgery to lengthen the graft a bit. The current plan is to finish up with my right hip in the summer and this may now include my knee and ankle as well. Having 3 surgeries in one day is a bit much so we may separate them by a week like we did last December.

I hope everyone has a great holiday and a healthy and happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment