Thursday, January 24, 2013

MRI Results

I have been so busy lately with my classes this semester that I haven't been able to update. As I mentioned in the previous post, I had a MRI for my right knee and ankle. Unfortunately both were somewhat inconclusive. This is primarily because I have had prior surgery with hardware and because the surgeries are not conventional. There were some areas on both MRIs that were "abnormal" however it is hard to determine what is actually abnormal (as in a problem area) or what is abnormal as a result of the surgeries. The ankle report mentioned a possible disruption or tear in the ATFL ligament. This is one of the main supporting ligaments of the ankle and one that was replaced with a graft. The knee MRI indicated that I have an effusion in the joint and some tendonosis of the patellar tendon. Nothing significant was reported over the MPFL graft which was the area we were most concerned with.

I will head back to Boston in March for follow-up appointments and hopefully we will have a plan of action at that time. Until then (or at least until my ankle calms down) I am in a walking boot. Surprisingly the boot has been very helpful in walking around campus. I was having a difficult time walking up hills with the pain and swelling.

My left hip has been sore lately but overall I haven't experienced any snapping since before the surgery. I have been working in PT to regain strength and so far I have made progress. Hopefully my hip continues to progress. I need the left hip to be as strong as possible before having right hip surgery in the summer.

My headaches have been pretty bad lately with the cold weather (at least I think it's related to the cold). Unfortunately there is not much I can do about it so I will just continue to manage as best I can.

2 comments:

  1. I've had a lot of headaches since the weather turned so cold. Nasty stuff -- hope you feel better soon. It's frustrating not getting definitive answers with the MRI. Hang in there - spring will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My headaches are due to Chiari Malformation and unfortunately nothing helps. Factors such as the weather make it significantly worse but even with nice weather I still have the headaches.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete