Thursday, August 8, 2013

Braces for EDS

Many people with EDS need anywhere from one to multiple braces on a given day. However, not all braces are the same despite being used for the same purpose. Some braces are uncomfortable, even painful to wear, and they don't always do the job intended (which is usually to prevent a dislocation and stabilize the joint).

While everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else, here is a list of braces I have used in the past that have worked well for me. 

Ankle: I had chronic instability in my right ankle and before having reconstructive surgery I was unable to simply stand on my foot without my ankle rolling over. I tried taping and the standard ASO brace but nothing seemed to work...until I found the Bauerfeind CaligaLoc.

Pros: Stabilized my ankle pre and post-op. Relatively comfortable with only a few adjustments (adding padding to edges, wearing a sock underneath--though I could get by without the sock most of the time)

Cons: Does not fit into every shoe. I had to buy shoes at least 1 size larger than I would normally wear and could only wear sneakers and a few types of boots. Expensive $$$

*This will be my go to ankle brace in the future if the left ankle travels down the same path as my right. 

Can be found at The Brace Shop

Ankle braces that did not work:
ASO Flex-Hinge ankle brace
AirCast stirrup brace
AirCast A60 Stabilizing ankle brace
Taping methods

Knee: I have had so many different types of knee braces and only a few have worked. My surgeon put me in knee braces to prevent dislocations, however my kneecap still dislocated in a few braces. I also tend to be allergic or sensitive to neoprene, thus eliminating many options.
 
Bledsoe 20.50 Patellofemoral Knee Brace

Pros: Open/airy, doesn't cover entire skin surface like most neoprene braces (which often leads to burning and redness for me). Prevented dislocations for the most part (I had a few subluxations in the brace), easily adjustable, tightens in flexion 

Cons: Expensive $$$, not very comfortable (the straps that wrap around the back pinched my skin when I would flex/bend my knee--was corrected with a sleeve)

Can be found at The Brace Shop
Also available in black
Ossur CTi knee brace

Pros: Comfortable, doesn't slide down (when applied directly to skin)

Cons: Expensive $$$, does not prevent dislocations (I used this brace as a step down to the full-leg post-op knee brace while my quad muscles were still weak)

Can be found at The Brace Shop

Breg T-Scope Post-Op Knee Brace
As far as post-op braces go, there's not much to say about the T-Scope. It was comfortable enough and had a full range of degrees of extension. I was able to wear the Cryo Cuff (ice treatments) with the brace on. It was particularly lightweight and easy to adjust. I have around 4 of these braces around my house. Fortunately, many insurance companies cover this brace as a standard post-op immobilizer, but for a post-operative brace, surprisingly it is not insanely expensive (other brands are much more expensive)

Can be found at The Brace Shop

Honorable Mention: DonJoy Tru-Pull Wraparound knee brace

This was the first knee brace I had for dislocations. In the beginning it worked well but as my kneecap continued to shift laterally, it eventually started dislocating in the brace. 

Pros: Comfortable when worn over clothing

Cons: Relatively expensive $$, eventually my kneecap began dislocating in the brace, reaction to brace when it was in contact with skin for extended periods of time

Knee braces that did not work:
Breg PTO High Performance Patella Femoral knee brace (so uncomfortable and didn't prevent dislocations)
ProCare Patella Stabilizer
Breg Lateral Stabilizer
Taping techniques (K-Tape and McConnell taping)

Shoulder: For as long as I can remember, dating back to when I was a gymnast training for the TOPs program, I used to dislocate my shoulder. There was one particular exercise that measured shoulder flexibility, and with ease I simply popped it out (I guess this explains why I tested above the national average in that category). My shoulder problems eventually escalated and I was waking up with dislocations. I have had 3 shoulder surgeries to date and fortunately my shoulders feels great (aside from the random numbness I get in my arms from time to time). There are not a lot of options when it comes to shoulder dislocations. A sling can be useful to calm the surrounding soft tissue down after repeated dislocations but its limiting. Kinesio tape has been successful for some people, but ultimately isn't strong enough to prevent forceful dislocations. 

After a series of shoulder dislocations my surgeon would often recommend I spend a few weeks (usually ended up being a few days) in my pillow sling. For the most part it was helpful. I used the same sling I wore post-op and I have no complaints. 

DonJoy UltraSling 

Pros: As far as slings/immobilizers go it is comfortable, very easy to adjust, can be reversed for both arms/shoulders (just flip the sling around), easy to wash

Cons: It sucks to be stuck in one position!

Can be found at The Brace Shop
Though I never used a shoulder sleeve, my surgeon recommended one to me while I was waiting for surgery. From his experience, most of his patients had success.

EVS SB Shoulder Series- 3 versions based on level of support
Can be found at EVS Sports
Other braces that have good reviews:

I don't wear finger splints but here are a few of the popular finger splint suppliers for EDSers:
~If you are looking for more fashionable finger splints, etsy is a great place to start!

I hope this was helpful to anyone looking for brace recommendations! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment