Monday, August 19, 2013

Hip Hop

I haven't updated recently as there really had been nothing to update on...until now. We decided not to go through with part 2 of the hip surgery this summer. I need to be able to drive to campus in a week. It is my final semester and I didn't want to complicate the situation by having surgery 2 weeks before the semester starts (I wouldn't have been able to drive for at least 4 weeks and I still haven't regained my energy from the last surgery).

We will revisit the surgery this fall. I have a labral tear and FAI in the right hip and the cartilage deterioration has been relatively noticeable on scans. The surgery will likely be in December after my final semester. That would give me time to recover as I won't have the impending spring semester to worry about. 

Post-Op Update: 1 month

Right hip- My incision looks good. I don't have any post-op pain related to this surgery. My hip has snapped a few times but it's hard to tell if that is because of my uneven gait due to my ankle. 

Right ankle- The incision is finally starting to look more normal. I still have quite a bit of soreness and swelling in the ankle. I have been in PT for 3 weeks now and can finally flex my foot/ankle on my own. However, surprisingly ankle is still very stiff. I am able to walk in the boot. 

Right knee- Both incisions look decent. I still have pain over the graft, especially when my knee is bent for any length of time and I extend (straighten) the knee. It is possible that improves over time but the surgery wasn't very extensive (simply removing sutures). I still have overall knee pain and swelling but that was not addressed in surgery because it requires going into the joint.

Left knee- My incision looks good. It was right over the previous incision and healed in a matter of days. The area is a bit sore to touch but otherwise I don't really have post-op pain. However, going down the stairs I still feel the graft pulling (which is why I had the sutures removed). 

In other news, if you are in Massachusetts this weekend, the 1st Annual Hip Hop 5K will be held in Easton. All money raised will benefit the International Hip Dysplasia Institute and Boston Children's Hospital Hip Program. More information can be found at the event's official website.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the update. Here's wishing you the best and congrats on your last semester in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Jill! Love you, look forward to seeing you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thanks for letting us know and I'm glad everything's doing well and fine. Continue resting to recover fast and I hope things will continue to be pain-free as possible. I ended on your blog while searching for ceramic hips. My dad was advised to have such for his left hip, next week. However, most of the stuff I read is about stryker hip lawsuit. Do you have any knowledge on ceramic hips?

    ReplyDelete