Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Last Semester!

I started my final undergraduate semester 2 weeks ago. So far everything is going well. I like most of my classes and I am really looking forward to beginning my volunteer work for a Hospice care program. I should start service next week.

I am 8 weeks post-op from the 4 surgeries I had in July. Here's the breakdown...

Right Ankle: My ankle hurts. The pain is the same as before surgery, however both my PT and surgeon believe that with more strength and ROM it should start to feel better. I am still in the walking boot and likely will be for awhile. Mentally and physically I am not comfortable with my ankle. That's not to say that it's not structurally stable, but rather I am so used to my ankle rolling on me or causing pain that I feel more confident in the boot. Also, pain wise I am not ready to start weight-bearing (as the boot takes away a lot of the force and pressure of walking). I will see my surgeon in November to reassess and see if there is any improvement.

Right Hip: My hip has been quite painful lately, likely due to the fact that I have been walking around campus a lot more since the start of the semester. Surprisingly my right hip snaps quite a bit and much more forcefully than before. I still have terrible groin pain (related to the joint issues) and clicking deep within the joint. I see my surgeon in November for a post-op appointment and the plan is to finish up the hip (arthroscopy to repair labrum and FAI) in December. We discussed possibly reexamining the ITB during that surgery if the snapping has not improved. Some of the snapping may be a result of having mildly rotated femurs. 

Right Knee: My right knee is bad. It hurts all the time and all over. It swells everyday and clicks and crunches when I walk up and down the stairs. I also have a lot of pain with extension after sitting with my knee in flexion for awhile. Based on how bad the pain is it is likely the right knee will be scoped during my hip surgery in December. 

Left Knee: My left knee is fine. I don't have terrible pain. I still have a strange pulling sensation when walking down the stairs but seeing as it is no longer painful it's not really an issue. 

In the next month or so I will be switching my blog to private for awhile, though eventually I will make it public again! Thanks in advance for understanding.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that. Why are you switching your blog to private anyway? Well, I too recently had a hip replacement and I used tons and tons of ice packs and alcohol :) The ice packs work and making my own was downright inexpensive. Let's give ourselves the time to heal dear friend and I'm sure our creative self will appear once more. By the way, would you know a person who is experiencing hip problems, ceramics in particular? Just scared reading about stryker hip lawsuit as it talks about ceramic hip units.

    ReplyDelete