Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ankle Nightmares and a New Adventure

Well, I saw my surgeons in Boston last week and my right ankle is still a mess. I am starting an accelerated nursing program this week that will run for 15 months so for now we are trying to manage the ankle troubles as best as possible. It seems inevitable, though, that I will need another surgery. My ankle surgeon discussed 3 possible options (all surgical) and my primary surgeon gave his opinion as well. It seems removing the peroneus brevis tendon may be the best option down the road, but fortunately I get an extended break from surgery while I pursue my dream of becoming a nurse.

I have two ankle braces for now that seem to be helping. I also have an AFO brace that I will have reconstructed at some point to be more functional.

My hip is doing pretty well. The joint finally moves smoothly without ripping away at the cartilage and my IT band no longer snaps loudly with every step. I still have muscle soreness and weakness but that's an easy fix.

My knee is still getting stuck and grinding, though it is slightly improved from before surgery. It may not improve much more but we will revisit the knee when we discuss the next steps for the ankle next year.

The next 15 months will certainly be challenging, both physically and mentally. But I have the necessary support system and I am ready for what is ahead. I will find a way to push through. We spent the last several years stabilizing my body as best as possible and now that time is here. EDS will not get in my way.

I will provide updates when I can but with the accelerated nature of the program, my free time will be limited.


0 comments:

Post a Comment