Sunday, August 17, 2014

Long Time No Post

It has been awhile since my last post and I can promise that that will be a theme. I am far too busy to keep up with this blog regularly, though I will do my best to provide updates when I can--likely lumped into one long post every so often.

I am currently finishing up my last nursing class of my first semester. It is a very intense course with skill check-offs and an exam everyday. However, it is a lot of fun! This semester has gone by incredibly fast but it has been such a great experience. The students in the program are great and we all get along really well. We do a lot of stuff together on the weekends and whatnot, so we are becoming one big family.

Since my last post a lot has happened.

I saw my ankle surgeon again and we agreed that when I complete the program next summer I will undergo a re-reconstruction of the right ankle. I have had 4 surgeries on this ankle and none of the revision surgeries have provided any relief. I will likely be having the Chrisman Snook procedure and the recovery will be similar to the first surgery (2 weeks soft cast, 4 weeks hard cast, 6-8 weeks walking boot--at least 6 weeks non-weightbearing). It's a big one so there is no time to do it until after I graduate. Until then I will either use k-tape, wear my walking boot, my AFO, or a brace.

I learned last week that I also tore my left ACL. Fortunately, it is a partial tear and if I protect it (bracing and taping), I should be fine. We will re-evaluate it if problems persist or around the time of the ankle surgery. I may have dodged a bullet.

Because of my busy schedule I haven't had any cupping/massage sessions lately but I start back up on Tuesday and I can't wait. Cupping is the only "therapy" that provides any lasting relief for my back and neck.

My Chiari headaches have progressively been getting worse and as a result I am pursuing a second opinion to see what our next step is. I was scheduled to have surgery in 2012 but canceled because I felt I was functioning well enough. I knew that the Chiari and symptoms would eventually get worse but I definitely didn't think it would happen this quickly. I will provide an update after I receive a second opinion and have a better idea of the plan.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!


0 comments:

Post a Comment