Sunday, October 5, 2014

Decompression in December

I haven't posted in awhile, which seems to be how I open up every post lately. I just don't have time, as the Fall semester is in full swing.

Back in 2012 I was told that I needed a decompression and cervical fusion (C1-C2). I was not comfortable with the fusion, so I saw a surgeon in Boston who did not feel a fusion was necessary. As a result, I cancelled surgery and decided that I would live with the headaches. I knew it was possible that the headaches would get worse, in fact, I was told that they would. I just never expected the headaches to worsen so quickly and dramatically. So in August I saw a neurosurgeon for a second opinion as the headaches were starting to take over my life.



I absolutely loved the neurosurgeon I saw and after a thorough assessment and review of my history, we agreed that it was time to move forward with a posterior fossa decompression (the only option at this point). In 2012 my herniation was measured at around 4mm. Two years later it is 7mm. This time I am ready.

The surgery is scheduled for early-December, and fortunately I will be able to return for the Spring semester without missing any time from the program.



Decompression Surgery

         
The blue area highlighted above is what will be removed to decrease the pressure on the brain.
 








0 comments:

Post a Comment