Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Importance of Sports

I come from a very athletic family, and believe it or not, I was once an elite athlete. Sports have always been a big part of my life. I am passionate about the teams I support (passion may be an understatement...some may say obsessed) and they provide a much needed distraction from the daily chronic pain of EDS, Chiari Malformation, and CRPS/RSD.

Of course, it is well known that I am a Boston sports fan. I love my Bruins, Sox, Pats, and C's! I also love watching BC Hockey and Notre Dame Football. And while the Bruins top just about everything, there is one person I enjoy watching above all others....my brother! Family is above and beyond the most important thing in my life.

My brother, growing up in the same sports-crazed family, started playing soccer at an early age and developed into an elite player. Ever since he started playing, I attended his games. His hard work and dedication paid off and he earned an athletic scholarship to play soccer for a Division 1 program, something that is certainly no small feat. He played collegiate soccer for 4 years, was recently named to the All-Conference Second Team, is 3rd in D1 program history in career assists, and helped build the program as a legitimate contender in the NEC. He anchored a defensive unit that only allowed 1.16 goals per game this season. To say that I am proud of him and all that he has accomplished in his 4 years as a D1 student-athlete would be a vast understatement.

I have enjoyed watching him play soccer for many many years. I am always in the stands cheering him on, wearing any and every article of clothing that supports the team he is playing for. But I am sad to say that today that all came to an end. The season ended in heartbreaking fashion, but of course, it is well known in sports that if you aren't hoisting the trophy at the end of the season, it all comes to a crashing halt.

This was his senior season as one of the captains of the team, and he had a phenomenal year. I am so fortunate that I was able to attend so many games this season, as it was certainly a memorable one. I am so incredibly proud to call him my brother, and I am blessed that I have been able to watch him progress from a U6 club soccer player to a Division 1 college soccer player. What a remarkable transition!

It has been a helluva ride and I wish it didn't have to end, but just as I did with gymnastics, I am sure my brother will take the lessons he learned in soccer and apply them to his life.

I will ALWAYS be his biggest fan!

Senior Year- Captain

*I made this video of Shane's 4 years of soccer at Bryant! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment